Job Title: Health Coach
Location: Dartmouth + Offsite
Temporary, Full Time
Close Date: April 15, 2017
The Matter of Black Health project is an exciting partnership between the Health Association of African Canadians, Diabetes Canada (the Canadian Diabetes Association) and the Medavie Health Foundation. The project will leverage a proven health coaching model into a culturally specific, strength-based approach to living well, supporting the prevention and management of chronic disease. This unique role will work with the Health Association of African Canadians and other key partners to support behaviour and lifestyle changes for African Descended People in targeted communities in Nova Scotia.
Reporting to the Manager of Community Health Promotion with Diabetes Canada, the Health Coach is a non-clinical professional who will use a combination of individualized guidance and connections with key networks to enhance the quality of life of their clients. Coaching will focus on building confidence and promoting wellness behaviours within families and communities, and to build wellness through culturally-specific physical, mental and spiritual fitness. A deep understanding of our communities across their diversity, relevant supports, programs and community contacts will be vital, as well as the ability to motivate and support individuals. The health coach will focus on establishing mutually-beneficial connections in the local community, providing specific tools to support wellness, and investing the necessary time to support individuals to adopt healthier lifestyles.
- Provide personalized support to participants of the Matter of Black Health project to help identify and achieve client’s health and wellness goals. Using behaviour change strategies, assist the client to set goals, connecting with culturally relevant local resources to support individual needs and to develop a personal wellness plan
- Encourage and motivate toward lifestyle change, continually reviewing client progress to help them meet personal goals.
- Assist in promoting the role of the Health Coach in three health zones. Help identify opportunities to market the program, and leverage existing community programs and events. Particular emphasis will be placed on building networks with key partners and healthcare professionals in the community to act a source of potential participants.
- Work closely with the Health Association of African Canadians to identify key partners, groups, organizations and programs in each community to build a network of supports for future clients, and to leverage the services of each group to build participation.
- Participate in Maritime Health Coach network of Diabetes Canada to share successes, best practices and enhance training.
- Ensure that all relevant data is recorded and updated as required
- Provide verbal and written activity reports to the manager as required
- Participate in project Steering Committee meetings as required.
- Post-secondary education in social sciences, health, physical education, kinesiology, social work, or community development and / or related experience in community development, health promotion or program development
- Qualifications in areas such as nutrition, mental fitness coaching and / or health behaviours would be an asset
- Understanding of the issues and challenges faced by African Descended People living in Nova Scotia, and knowledge of community-based programs and resources available to our communities.
- Experience in building stakeholder relations, engaging individuals or community groups to facilitate change. Equivalent volunteer activity may be considered
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication, including networking and public speaking skills
- Strong listening and motivational skills, demonstrated by past experience in coaching, mentoring, or leadership roles.
- Ability to work autonomously with strong organizational and computer skills, and ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Available for occasional evening / weekend work and some travel throughout NS.
- Valid drivers licence is required
Hours of Work:
Long Assignment full time position; 70 hours bi-weekly
Beginning March 27, 2017 – March 27, 2018
$24.00 – $28.00 hourly ($42 000 -$50,000 / year)
What You Need To Know
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work permit or study permit that allows the candidate to fulfill the requirements of the role
- At Diabetes Canada, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals, and value a diverse workforce that reflects the communities we serve.
- Diabetes Canada is committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process.
- We thank all interested applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- No agencies or phone calls please, email applications will not be considered.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email or mail by April 15, 2017 to:
Hiring Committee: the Matter of Black Health
101-137 Chain Lake Dr
Halifax NS B3S 1B3
Please quote competition number HC0224-CB when applying.